Everyone loves pie. Few dishes throughout history have proven to be as versatile and as tasty as pie. There are many different types of pie made with many different types of ingredients, and plantain pie is one that you simply have to try.
Enjoy a slice this delicious dish after meals, or – if you have a particularly sweet tooth – eat it all on its own.
- 2 ripe sweet plantains, peeled and cut in pieces
- 2-3 cups water
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1 egg
- 1 prepared pie crust
- Pre-heat the oven at 425°F (218°C).
- In a pot add the plantains and water and cook for about 10 minutes until the plantains are soft.
- Place the plantain and about a half cup of the cooking liquid in a blender with the cloves, cinnamon, vanilla extract, nutmeg and sugar, blend until smooth.
- Add the egg, evaporated milk and melted butter and blend until well combined, for about 1 min.
- Place the pie pastry in a lightly floured pie pan and decorate as desired. Pour the plantain mixture into the crust and bake for 45 mins at 350 F/175 C until a toothpick or knife comes out clean when inserted into the filling.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.