Spicy, juicy, and fun, Kelewele is a tasty snack that Ghanaians love to eat on the go. Add a little roasted groundnuts to the mix and this guilty pleasure gets even better with each bite.
- Plantain – 4 -6 Fingers
- Cayenne/ Red Pepper – 1⁄2 tsp
- Blended Ginger – 1⁄2 tsp.
- Salt – Enough to taste
- Grind together blended ginger, pepper, and salt, then mix with water.
- In a glass bowl toss together the plantain cubes and spice mixture.
- In a deep skillet, heat oil (just deep enough to allow plantains to float). Fry plantains, turning once, until golden brown on both sides. (Don’t try to fry them all at once; they should not touch each other while frying.).
- Drain on absorbent paper and keep in warmed oven until all the plantains are fried.
- Serve the kelewele and add a handful of roasted groundnuts if you want this treat to be a little crunchy.
Chef: Audrey Selormey, Buka