Like most things, milk is best enjoyed fresh. It can be consumed on its own or contribute in the making of some amazing dishes. Fortunately, keeping it at its best doesn’t require much. Here are some handy tips and tricks to help you get the most out of your milk.
- When you go shopping, make Fresh milk the last thing you pick to keep it from warming up while you are filling your basket.
- At home, make it a point to open new milk containers in the same order in which you bought them. The first in the fridge should be the first one out.
- Milk picks up odours quite easily. As such, keep milk containers closed and stored away from strong-smelling food items in the fridge.
- Contrary to what is common in most homes, milk should be stored on refrigerator shelves where it is cooler, rather than in the refrigerator doors.
- Leave milk in its original container to safeguard its flavour and nutritional value.
- Do not expose milk to direct light. It destroys certain vitamins, such as vitamin D and riboflavin.
- Avoid purchasing milk cans that are dented. Though they may seem fine, dented cans are likely to cause food poisoning by allowing bacteria in.
- Store evaporated milk in a cool, dark place away from heat.
- Because milk solids can settle at the bottom of the can, be sure to turn stored cans upside down every few weeks.
- If you do not finish off a can of milk, you can cover with plastic wrap secured with an elastic band or pour into an airtight container and refrigerate. Open cans exposed to air will pick up unwanted flavors from your refrigerator so you’ll want to keep your cans covered.
- Do not freeze evaporated milk. The milk solids separate from the water when thawed and no amount of stirring, shaking or blending will completely bring it back to its original texture.
Milk is a protein-rich beverage that packs some awesome nutrients your body loves. With these tips, you will be ensuring that the milk you consume is wholesome with every bit of its nutritional value intact.
Leave a Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.